Build number in versions

Cecilia Belletti August 14, 2015

Hi,

We want to be able to report the version number and build number with JIRA and track any state change using it, besides the version number.

I've seen several old issues and questions about this feature, and as I can see, all of them are workarounds. Is this feature available now?

Thank you

3 answers

0 votes
Nick October 12, 2015

As I understand your requirement I think there can be multiple build numbers for a version.

You can implement this by creating a custom field using "Database Values Plugin" which is cascading and gets versions and related builds from a database. Then you need some way of storing the build numbers against the version in the database. I have done this using maven so that each time a relevant build is performed in jenkins the Exec Maven plugin runs code to write version and build number to the database.

0 votes
Cecilia Belletti August 15, 2015

Thank you for you answer.

How can I define the build number of an existing version I defined in JIRA, and how the users can select the build number when they create an issue, add a comment or make a state change? 

Now they can select the version number, but it isn't enough for us.

Thank you in advance

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 14, 2015

I am sorry, but this question is very unclear.  Atlassian Cloud handles versions, changes of state and builds in a reasonably clear way,

Specifically, you say

"version number and build number with JIRA and track any state change using it, besides the version number".  What does "besides the version number" mean?

and

"I've seen several old issues and questions about this feature, and as I can see, all of them are workarounds. Is this feature available now?"

What feature?  What workarounds? 

Suggest an answer