Build Jira from source. Error: " The filename or extension is too long ".

Łukasz Sokół February 26, 2012

I have problem with building Jira from source. After 12 minutes, the build failed with following error: "An Ant BuildException has occured: Javadoc failed: java.io.IOException: Cannot run program "C:\Program Files\Java\jdk1.6.0_31\bin\javadoc.exe": CreateProcess error=206, The filename or extension is too long."

I'm trying to move catalogue with javadoc to shortest path and result was the same.

Any idea ?

7 answers

0 votes
Damien Brock August 7, 2020

i faced this issue on windows 7, then i tried Long Path Tool which works very well

0 votes
Juan Miller July 18, 2020

Long path tool can solve your problem easily. It can delete, copy, move and bulk rename long path files or locked files easily. Try it, It is very useful.

0 votes
bonnie jones April 29, 2017

Hey, I too use the Long Path Tool! :D Works every time :)

0 votes
robertvo October 28, 2015
I would suggest you using Long Path Tool to eliminate this issue in other occassions.
0 votes
steven kor July 16, 2013

Try " Long Path Tool " useful in situations where you see these error messages: Cannot read from source file or disk, there has been a sharing violation, cannot delete file or folder, the file name you specified is not valid or too long, the source or destination file may be in use and many other file managing errors that you encounter in your computing use.

0 votes

Do you know where is Build.xml ? In catalogue where is installed Java are several "Build.xml" files and they are very similar.

0 votes
Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2012

NTFS has a limit of 255 chars for a file name.

Add 'useexternalfile="yes"' to the javadoc task, it may work.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 26, 2012

That's not really true... NTFS has a 32k limit. Stuff built with the CRT generally have max path of 260 chars. But, do you need to build the javadoc? Probably not...

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2012

You are talking about path, not file name, I guess ....

I don't see any build.xml which can used as build script.

I build source in command line.

Jira 5.0, sdk 1.6, Windows 7

Radu Dumitriu
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 26, 2012

It is a maven build AFAIK. You should see what pom fails, most probably it should have a maven-antrun-plugin with something like:

<configuration>
<tasks>
<javadoc ...................>

Or, install a Linux VM and build on it ....

Łukasz Sokół February 27, 2012

ok I give up. I don't have this text in pom files. May I should add this text...

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 27, 2012

@Radu, sorry yes, I didn't read your answer properly.

eden March 5, 2016

I would suggest Long path Tool to manage your proble,I use long path tool when occur problem to me.

cristopher March 5, 2016

You can use “Long Path Tool” !It will help you.

Roksolana June 4, 2016

Long Path Tool help me a lot when i have an issue like file deleting or renaming the file. Also good to use if file name and file extension is too long.

Samantha Chloe August 13, 2016

“Long Path Tool” is very helpful for this error !
You can use to solve this problem

johnraf August 17, 2016
“Long Path Tool” is very helpful.
albina elvira September 3, 2016

I used to have similar problems too, but after using
"long path tool" You can use to solve this problem.

johnraf September 3, 2016

I used to have similar problems too, but after using
"long path tool" You can use to solve this problem.

stepan raisa October 5, 2016

“Long Path Tool” is very helpful for this error !
best solution for your problem.

aiden_carter October 8, 2016

Long path tool is the very good program for error, unlock solution.
Try it and solve your problem.
I used long path tool and I solve my error, unlock problem solution.

Suggest an answer