Bug with project import tool

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 16, 2013

HI All

I want to discuss a bug i have recently experienced with the project import tool on jira.

The documentation says this -

"Note, the Project Import tool will lock out your instance of JIRA during the actual data import (not during the validations), so please ensure that your instance does not need to be accessible during this time."

Which is acceptable since the process is complex and you do not want your users to access the instance simultaneously.

However, when i was performing a project import today I realised that the instance is still accessible to users.

Has any one experienced this before?

How do i prevent users from accessing the instance while i am doing project import?

Any drawbacks of allowing user access during project import?

Rahul

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
May 19, 2013

Hi Rahul

What you can do to make shure no users will acess the instance its delete the jira-users Global Permissions.

In order to do that you need to login as an administrator, them go to Users -> Global Permissions and delete the jira-users group.

Confirm it. Drop the instance to make shure nobody stayed logged and start it again.

Do whatever you need to do and create the jira-users Global Permissions again.

In order to do that, go to Users->Global Permissions, scroll down to the end of the page.

You will see the Add Permission option. There you select the "Permission" JIRA Users and the "Group" jira-users

Click add and you are done!

Rahul Aich [Nagra]
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2013

Thanks Ricardo....that should work. But do you think blocking user access is necessary?

Rahul

0 votes
RicardoA
Rising Star
Rising Star
May 19, 2013

Hi Rahul

I'm not aware of any reported issue regarding this scenario, but if you want to be sure that the instance its acessible only by you, those are the steps you need to follow.

Cheers

Suggest an answer