Bug about closing issues?

Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2015

Hi there,

Sometimes, random users in random groups and also myself als an admin sometimes, can't close issues. It's completely unfindable what's wrong with it: the groups are ok, the permissions are ok, the workflow is the satndard one.... it just happens random. 

I've read all the other questions about this subjec,t so I'm beginning to wonder if maybe there's some bug in Closing issues? Has anybody more info?

Thank you

3 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Udo Brand
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 7, 2015

Could it be that there is a condition in your workflow "only Reporter" can close this issue, that could explain it. So the permission "close issue" is overwritten and sometime even if you have that permission you don't met that condition.

1 vote
Luciano Fagundes
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 7, 2015

Vera

Could you please confirm what the permission helper says about an issue that you're not able to close it?

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/JIRA+Admin+Helper#JIRAAdminHelper-PermissionHelper

If the permission is fine according to the helper, we might need to edit the workflow transition to close an issue and make sure there is no restriction in there as mentioned by Udo above.

0 votes
Vera Henrichs
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 9, 2015

I'm using the classic default workflow, so I thought everything would be ok. But I did check the conditions (thanks for the tip Udo!) because I've set the permissions to my own settings. And I guess I have my problem there:

From Open, in Progress and Reopened, the condition is: "All of the following conditions" and it has:

• Only users with Resolve issues permission can execute this transition 
  • Only users with Close issues permission can execute this transition

When I have a look at the permissions, the groups that can Resolve is different and more limited than the groups than can Close an issue. And there are users which aren't in that Resolved-group.

So my conclusion is, that there's my problem. 

I'm going to change the condition or the groups and it should work out fine I think.

If not: I'll try the PermissionHelper.

Guess you're both right smile

Suggest an answer