BrowseProjects.jspa fails to load projects

krishnan December 20, 2014

I added projects using db scripts. Among the main tables were project_key, projectversion, nodeassociation and did a full re-indexing of JIRA instance.  But when I browse for projects by http://localhost/secure/BrowseProjects.jspa,  throws an exception "

"hasDefaultAvatar", exception: java.lang.NullPointerException

at com.atlassian.jira.web.action.browser.BrowseProjects$ProjectCategoryBean$1$1.hasDefaultAvatar(BrowseProjects.java:332)

Unable to understand this exception.  What could have gone wrong?

Thanks

Krishnan

2 answers

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 21, 2014

Looks like you do not have an avatar set up? You might have to programmatically set that when creating the project using API.

Regarding the project import conversation, an easy approach is to transfer the AO data and configurations using scripts and rely on project import for everything else. We, Go2Group, has successfully done that for many customers.

krishnan December 21, 2014

Thanks Jobin, I got into the logs and found " /secure/BrowseProjects.jspa [webwork.util.ValueStack] METHOD: "hasDefaultAvatar", exception: ". Found there is mismatch between the avatar in project and the owner of avatartype in Avatar. I am just fixing that. Initially I started off like you suggested but when I couldn't go beyond this exception "Unable to import custom field 'Sprint'. The custom field type does not support project imports.", I started writing db scripts.

Probably you could include this in "How to" series in your next book.

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 20, 2014

>I added projects using db scripts

This is almost certainly the entire problem.  Your scripts have missed something.  I would very strongly recommend that you immediately revert to the backup you took before you ran your scripts.  Then do your project creation properly, not with SQL.

krishnan December 20, 2014

Thanks Nic.  what is the best approach to merge two JIRA instances? This is what i am trying to achieve.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
December 21, 2014

Export and project import. Never SQL

Tried this option. But then, activeobjects data and jira configuration data couldn't be done through project import.

Moreover, during the project import the following exception is thrown. "Unable to import custom field 'Sprint'. The custom field type does not support project imports."

Suggest an answer