Broke Jira while doing Dragons Stage 3(confluence install)

Maxim Rybalov October 20, 2012

We recently purchased starter licenses for a number of Atlassian products. It is my understanding that doing Dragon Slayer quest is best/proper way to install all those products. We use Oracle 11gR2 server as a database server. To simplify installation process I asked our dba to create a single 'atlassiandb' user that I was planning to use for all these products. Everything went well until 'Dragons Stage 3' Step 2/Step 3.

I got to the point where Confluence wanted to connect to Jira. When I supplied my Jira admin login it complained that username/password was wrong. Confused by the situation, I tried to login to Jira only to be told the same thing. At that point I started looking through the Dragons Stage 3 Step 2 instructions and I noticed that skipped a bullet where I needed to edit confluence/conf/server.xml file. I updated that file and restarted both Jira and Confluence. However, I still can not login to Jira. I tried to perform Can't access your account? function, but got cursed out by a very long Oops - an error has occurred message(if need to, i can provide its full output).

Did I completely clubber my install and I must start from scratch or can I salvage this?

5 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Maxim Rybalov October 22, 2012

So aparently this was partially my own fault and partially lack of proper documentaiton from Atlassian.

If you use Oracle as a database backend, you MUST use different database username for each application's connction.

Otherwise, since these products(Jira, Confluence, etc) use identical table names, records will be overwritten by each consecutive install.

From my understanding(I'm not a dba) Oracle does not have the same "database name" concept as MySQL or PostgreSQL. In Oracle each username gets assigned each own 'tablespace'.

So, for example, jiradb user will have its own CWD_USER table and confluencedb user will have its own version.

Please correct me if this information is inaccurate.

1 vote
petry
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 22, 2012

After some dig, I've found this KB:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/CONFKB/Cannot+Upgrade+Confluence+on+Oracle+if+the+Database+is+Shared

The problem is related to Confluence and the solution is limit your Confluence permissions to access only it's own schema.

Maxim Rybalov October 22, 2012

Andre, I guess this automatically happens if you create a new Oracle db user/schema(I'm not sure what the correct term is).

My original issue was becuase I intended to use the same db user for all products, and as such I don't see of a way to limit each application to their own schema if they all use the same login.

0 votes
Theinvisibleman
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 21, 2012

Hi Maxim,

I think you might want to raise a support case about this at our support site : https://support.atlassian.com/secure/Dashboard.jspa

Please attach a screenshot of the Oops error, as well as your Support ZIP : https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Getting+Help#GettingHelp-CreatingaSupportZip

0 votes
Maxim Rybalov October 21, 2012

Hrm..I can't seem to attach a file nor can I paste the full message since I'm limited to 2000 chars. :/

0 votes
Bhushan Nagaraj
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 21, 2012

Can you post the very long Oops - an error has occurred message ?? :)

Suggest an answer