Both statuses and transitions appear in the "Workflow" button on edit issue screen

sn October 31, 2017

Hi all,

users of JIRA 7.3 Server.

we have customized WF's and the next 2 transitions show as buttons and the others show under workflow.

i'm trying to use these status and create a simplified WF. so, i added "All" to all statuses and still kept all the transitions.

I thought providing the transition(how/what is done) will help users choose the right status. 

my problem now is that i see both transitions ans statuses in the workflow dropdown and this is confusing. this is not happening for all statuses/transitions though.

1)is there a way to show only the transitions or statuses, from UI ?

2) other issue is we added a resolution done to be populated when moving to "end" category statuses. but the resolution should be cleared when moving to other statuses(like reopen). for this to happen, do i need to add a post function for all the related transitions.

thanks!

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 31, 2017

So, when you started this, you had a workflow with transitions between status.  You then added more "all" transitions, which exist in all status to take you to another status.

So, of course you are going to find several transitions out of each status - you've created new ones.

It sounds like you didn't think "all" was a transition.  But it is, just one that is automatically shared across every status in the workflow.

So, there's two options. 

1.  Remove any transitions you don't want, whether they're the "all" ones or your original ones

2.  A "simplified" workflow is not one that has a load of "all" transitions.  It has only "all" transitions.  It's also not created manually, it's done by going to the board and clicking "simplify workflow" (Note - Jira lets you amend simplified workflows.  Do not do it, you will lose changes)

sn November 1, 2017

thanks for the response nic.

i din't realize that when i added the "allow all statuses to transition to this", i was actually adding "all" transition.

My users want ability to move issues from any to any status(like simplified) but not through the board. so, essentially a WF with custom statuses is what i created. along with "all",they want to have custom transitions as well.

This is making it difficult for me as Admin to add post functions to clear the resolution when moving from one of the end statuses to any other status. This means i have to add a post function to "all" and custom transitions as well.

Is there any other way of clearing the resolution field without adding a post function at every transition ?

My other question - i'm able to see all transitions and statuses under the "workflow" button in edit screen which is clearly confusing the users. is there a way to fix this.

your input is much appreciated.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 2, 2017

>My users want ability to move issues from any to any status(like simplified) but not through the board

That's nonsense.  A board is a view of the issues, not a container.  A board "move" IS a transition. 

Yes, you do need to add a post-function to every "coming out of done" transition, there is no way around that.  Because it's part of your process, it needs doing.

>i'm able to see all transitions and statuses under the "workflow" button

No, you are not.  You are seeing all the available transitions under the workflow buttons.  Some of them have the same names as the status they go to, but they are transitions, not status.  If you don't want them there, either put conditions on them to stop people using them, or delete them.  That will, of course, stop people using them to move between columns on a board, because the column moves are transitions.

Your users need to decide on a proper workflow that matches their desired process.  It's perfectly fine to have two or more transitions from one status to another, but your users need to define why there should be more than one route and what the differences are for the issue, and user

sn November 3, 2017

Thanks Nic.

i totally agree with you on minimizing and defining the WF.

You are seeing all the available transitions under the workflow buttons.  Some of them have the same names as the status they go to, but they are transitions, not status

since i added all, its transition is the same as status.Now i understand. thanks you so much.

Suggest an answer