Board usage question (How do you select stealth states?)

Tim Arthur February 3, 2014

I'm using JIRA Agile and have a standard, newbie question. I have set up a board with multiple columns, and of course some columns have more than one state(status) value. Once an item is assigned to a sprint and viewable on the board, the user can easily slide issues from one column to the next. When sliding it to a column, let's call it "Col3", the multiple states are shown in a shaded manner and that helps the user select the right exact state. Good. Cool. Now though, the user would like to change the state to something else that is within that same column, but when dragging the issue, only the *other columns* provide that friendly shading. In order to move it to the state we desire, we are forced to slide it to some other randomly selected column and then slide it back to, in this example Col3, where the other state value can be selected.

I thought we might be able to select "status" from our edit menu, but that field is not a choice (nor one available to be added). Hmmm.

Thank you for your help.

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2014

Ah, you've run into a known flaw in Agile here.

Even with the most open permissive workflow in the world, it does not yet support "drag to different status in same column". There is an open issue at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/GHS-9720 (I think there are similar related ones too, that's just my bookmarked one)

You can't directly "edit" status because it's a function of workflow, not a field. To change status you need to go through transitions (i.e. drag cards)

0 votes
Tim Arthur February 3, 2014

Thank you very much Nick.

Suggest an answer