Board Settings: Estimation Statistics does not offer ΣTime Spent as an option.

george_he January 8, 2020

Time Tracking is activated in all screens.

ΣTime Spent as a field is activated in Card Layout.

but Board Setting's Estimation section will not offer ΣTime Spent as a statistic, and as a result I cant get it as a metric for Version Reports (which i sorely need).

Is there an other section of settings that requires Time Tracking or Time Spent to be activated that I am unaware of? or what am i doing wrong here.

Please help thank you!

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 8, 2020

I'm afraid not.

In Scrum, your estimates are aimed at informing delivery of what you commit to do for your Product Owner.  This means the story-level stuff that they have in front of them.  You don't commit to sub-tasks - they're simply parts of an estimated story.  What matters is whether the parent story is complete or not.  Parts of it are not estimated because they PO has nothing to do with them.   Hence, the added-up estimate fields are of no use, because you don't put the estimates on sub-tasks.

george_he January 9, 2020

What? i think you may have misunderstood or i didnt explain correctly. I am not asking about subtasks, at all. 

Im just talking about Time Spent as an option for Estimate Statistic in Board Settings. 

I dont know why youre talking about sub-tasks.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 9, 2020

I think you might be misunderstanding. 

"ΣTime Spent" is a display field that consists of the sum of the time spent on the current issue and all the time spent on any of its sub-tasks.  (And "Time spent" is just the time spent on the current issue)

That's why I mentioned sub-tasks - the field is all about the sub-tasks.

Also, as it is measuring the time spent on issues, it is of no use as an estimation statistic.  An estimate is what you think you're going to spend on it, not what you have spent on it.

Suggest an answer