Blocking Workflow Transition To Done if Linked Issues "Is blocked by" are not Done

Sebastián Delmastro January 24, 2018

Any way to block issues transition on the Validators/Conditions/Post Functions workflows tools in jira to prevent the transition of an issue if it has any linked "Is blocked by" issue.

Linked issues can be any type and any project as we have several of them.

BTW we use Jira Cloud.

I am not looking for any add-on for the moment to solve this. Even Though we have automation for jira we are not looking to program post functions on this.  

Thanks.

2 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
somethingblue
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 24, 2018

Hi Sebastian,

This question has been asked a couple times and the end result is that you will need an add-on to accomplish this.  See this article as well as the Suggestions for this titled Ability to prevent closing an issue if all linked "is blocked by" issues are not closed.

Please vote on the Server version ( JRASERVER-43369 ) and the Cloud version ( JRACLOUD-43369 )to add impact so we can get this added natively.

Cheers,

Branden

Sebastián Delmastro January 24, 2018

Thanks @somethingblue for the quick response!

Like Kalos Bonasia likes this
Vivek Agarwal February 28, 2019

Lot of people would have document this. I am not aware of groovy scripting. Can someone paste and example of the script which solves the upper mentioned issue.

Will help a lot. Thanks in advance!

Dale Sedivec October 19, 2019

Note that, as far as I can tell, this is not possible with an add-on either, per se.  I do not think Jira Cloud gives the ability for add-ons to implement conditions nor validators.  Best bet would be a trigger (webhook) that reverts the issue's status *after* it has been changed.  Which sucks.

See also this post from Adaptavist ScriptRunner folks where they explicitly say this is impossible.

6 votes
Dave Macolino September 20, 2019

Once again, something that should be included in base functionality isn't and requires a plugin.  

Suggest an answer