Block closing of issue if sub-tasks are opened

Mosh October 28, 2017

Assuming I have JIRA software server and I have issues with sub-tasks (or sub-issues)  . Now I want to block users of closing parent issue if not all sub-tasks are closed yet - how to do so?

Should I write a script? Do I have to purchase some plugin? which one?

Thank you

2 answers

2 votes
Tayyab Bashir
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2017

Hi,

You can do that with default JIRA functions as well.
You would need to add a workflow condition at the desired workflow step/transition.
The condition you are looking for is "Sub-Task Blocking Condition".
You would need to chose the statuses that sub-tasks must be in to allow parent issue to go through the transition. 

Now, what this would do is hide the status all together from the screen. 
So let's say you add the condition on "In Progress" to "Closed', it won't show the closed status all together.

If you want to keep showing the closed status, then you'd need to add a workflow validator. And you would need some third party add-on like "ScriptRunner" for such validators.

1 vote
Alexey Matveev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 28, 2017

Suggest an answer