BigPicture Risks matrix: cannot see a new risk issue

Xavier Tang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

Hello,

In order to use Risks matrix of BigPicture plugin, I would create a new issue type "Risk". But, new issues created  with Risk issuetype, where Risk probability and Risk consequence are correctly given, but do not appear in the Risk matrix. While any issues with other issues types, as soon as Risk probability and Risk consequence are given, appear in the matrix. Does someone know the reason or has already met the same problem ?

Thank you for your help,

Xavier

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Xavier Tang
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 5, 2018

Thank you for your answer.

I know that it's not necessary to create a new issuetype. I would use a new issue type in order to use a dedicated screen and workflow. I would just know if it's normal that the Risks matrix does not show issues of a new issuetype. 

Xavier

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

wouldn't the risk matrix show ANY issue type that is included in the Scope of the filter that populates the Program?

the thing is you won't get it graphed unless those two fields are completed, but I don't see why it wouldn't graph any issue that is in the filter scope (as long as those 2 fields are populated)

Xavier Tang
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 8, 2018

Hi Ericka,

You are right. The new created issuetype was not in the Program scope. I defined the scope with a project kanban board. The new issuetype was not in the filter of that kanban board. Once it is modified, I can screen new risk issues on the Risks matrix.

Thank you very much.

Xavier

0 votes
Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 5, 2018

I don't think you're supposed to create a new issuetype.  Instead, create new custom fields for risk probability and risk consequence.

https://wiki.softwareplant.com/display/DOCUMENTATION/Risk+management

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2018

Food for thought: I suppose that would depend on how one is managing risk in the project. I prefer to keep risks and issues separate, since a risk technically does not impact the project until a risk event occurs and thus trigger new issue. To do this with Big Picture I've added a Risk issue type and included the risk consequence and risk probability fields.  I then removed the risk consequence and risk probability fields from all the other issue types I am using so the Risks are the only items that populate the Risk Matrix. 

Depending on how the risk will be addressed (Avoid, Transfer, Mitigate or Accept) I then add stories or tasks to implement the action taken, assuming there is work needed prior to the event to cancel out or reduce the impact of the risk.  When a risk event occurs and a risk is triggered to an issue I add a new story or task to implement the correcting action.  

(Since Big Picture does not track Residual Risk like Risk Register, I am also including comments in each risk to estimate the residual risk after the risk is either mitigated triggered; if the risk is triggered and corrective action taken that residual risk becomes a new risk issue and the workflow starts again.)

TL;DR: I've using the Risk Issue type to track risks that may impact the project separate from issue types that are part of a deliverable.

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 7, 2018

ah great idea Scott!

do you know as much about the Resource model?  i could use some tips!

Xavier Tang
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2018

I agree with you Scott.

Ericka: you talk about BigPicture Resource Model ? I think that the Resource model allows you to define workload plan for every team member according to their holiday plan and have a detailed view on day to day capacity and workload. However, this would take a lot of administration time, especially in the case of agile projects. Furthermore, it raises for me some contradictions to main values of agile principle. So, we would not use this model. For us, sprint planning is enough.

Scott Theus
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 8, 2018

Ericka, I've just started setting up the Resource module so its a bit new to me as well; not sure if I will be using it for my current program. Maybe we can start a new discussion to explore it within the community?

Ericka Samuels
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 13, 2018

yes, i will, just got back from vacation so as soon as I get my head back in the game i'll create some more specific discussion threads. thanks for your help

Suggest an answer