Better way to detect if a story has subtasks?

George Carvill
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 8, 2013

I am writing some transition changes that will do different things depending on the existence or non-existence of an issue's subtasks. The status of the subtask is unimportant, so the condition that checks subtask status doesn't help.

The best I can come up with is to create a field such as "Subtask Exists" and have the action that creates a subtask write a "1" into the subtask's field, and then copy the contents of that field to the parent.

There is the downside of being unable to blank the parent's field if the subtask is deleted. But such deletions are very rare.

Inelegant, but it works.

Anyone have a better idea?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
August 8, 2013

I take it you don't want to write any code? If that is the case, then I think you're pretty stuck and have already hit the best solution.

If you are willing to code, or have the script runner plugin, you can just use " if issue.getSubTaskObjects().size() > 0"

Suggest an answer