Best way to write Requirements in JIRA or Confluence?

Tej April 5, 2017

Hello,

From a couple of weeks, we trying to find out a workaround how to write Requirements! We tried to achieve QMS! and pass audits! for that Reporting and Traceability at any level is the main thing.

We tried both ways by using JIRA and Confluence.

Method1 JIRA:  One Project for only requirements and Created three Issue Types for Requirements High-Level Req, System Level Req (Epic) and Detail Req (Stories) then we created actual work to track with a different project where Epic and stories are in Sprints etc, other Artifacts in confluence  

Method2 Confluence: Here all type of requirements be in only the confluence and used Requirements Yogi for unique ID and then linked those requirements by JIRA linking directing.

Any other way to achieve? advice needed!

Thanks 

1 answer

1 vote
Ryan Kearney
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 5, 2017

Hi Dave,

I would consider keeping your artifacts in their own project in Jira. That way you can configure a workflow (with approvals, etc.) and have more dynamic reporting. I also prefer method #1 you mentioned here. Although, if I were to describe it, I would say:

High level, conceptual requirements = epic

System level req = issue (could be story)

detail req = issue (again, could be a story)

Then your devs do the actual work in subtasks for the issues, showing daily progress on the subtasks.

I would utlize the epic links to tie issues back to epics. This will make your epic a dynamic list that shows progress across the other projects where the reqs live. 

I would need more information and context to provide a more in depth answer, but from your description I think this method would work efficiently. 

Ryan

Tej April 5, 2017

Thank you! Ryan.

Really helpful by your explanation!  

We brainstorming trying different approaches. If I have any more questions  I will post on here

Really appreciated for your quick response. 

Suggest an answer