Best way to track stories across development teams?

John Elstad July 25, 2013

I'm in a large corporation on a product team (with its own Jira project) that spans multiple channels including online, iOS devices, and Android devices. Each channel has its own development team, which functions completely independently of the others, has its own Jira project, and does development for other product teams as well. Unfortunately, changing any of the above is not an option for the time being.

We're looking for recommendations so that we can:

1. Provide business requirements in a centralized location (e.g., a Jira story) and specify which channels are affected. (We can already do this)

2. Provide development teams access to the issue and add to the relevant information so that they can address it.

3. Track the progress of the issue across the affected channels (which are on separate schedules) from a single location (e.g., task board or report).

I'm happy to provide additional detail as well as how we're currently attempting to do this. Just let me know.

Thanks!

2 answers

0 votes
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2013

I'm not sure how much this helps, but your question reminded me of a JIRA blog i read not long ago. If it doesn't entirely help, maybe it'll provide some inspiration. It came in three parts:

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/04/how-to-manage-a-product-backlog-with-ease/

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/06/managing-a-product-backlog-with-ease-23/

http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/07/managing-a-product-backlog-with-ease-33/

0 votes
James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 29, 2013

For 2. Could you just assign it to the development team (as a custom field).

For 3. Create a Kanban board off of a filter that has all relevant projects/channels you are interested in tracking.

John Elstad July 29, 2013

Thanks for helping.

The challenge isn't assigning stories to development teams, but rather how to split a story, assign it to multiple teams (each of whom is working on a different development schedule), and track them individually.

For example, if there's an issue that affects customers on three different platforms, three different teams need to attend to it (worst case scenario). Since these teams are on different Jira projects, do we clone the story several times, creating one for each team (and probably duplicate information in each one) or something else?

The end goal is to be able to provide the teams with what they need while also tracking their individual progress so that we can say, "Issue X will go live on platform 1 on this date, platform 2 on that date, and so on."

Thanks again!

James Strangeway
Rising Star
Rising Star
July 29, 2013
I see. You could use an epic as the container and create a story for each platform but that still seems a little redundant You could use a story and creAte subtasks for each of the platforms. Then use swim lanes on your board to track each platform. Or creat one. Board with overall progress and one for each of the platforms

Suggest an answer