Best way to recover a clean Scrum backlog after a dirty workflow change

alexandre.clement.sterwen@axa.com November 7, 2017

Hi guys,

First of all, I do not have full admin rights on the JIRA board and have to go through a ticketing system for changes, so that's why the changes I required caused a lot of mess....

It started by a request to change the workflow from: To-Do / In Progress / Done to 

To-Do / In Progress / Completed in DEV, UAT / Validated by PO / Validated by Customer (screenshot below)

workflow.PNG

By doing this, all the issues that were Status =  "Done" (350+ issues...) went back to "To-Do" and re-appeared in the backlog (with their number still being strikedthrough)... 

So, my questions are the following:

- Is the "Done" Status mandatory in order to close a sprint or is any "green" box alright? 

- Is the ability to close a sprint only linked to the columns order in the board setting (need all issues in the last one?)

- Will I every be able to reset all "older sprint stories" to "validated by customer"? At least I know that the issues I want to remove from the backlog have a Resolution = Done

- As a temporary fixe, I tried to set up the following filter to see only the issues that are still REALLY to do in the backlog / current sprint : resolution != done AND ( sprint is not empty OR sprint in openSprints() ), but that doesn't work (even resolution != done alone doesn't work)

Thanks in advance for your help!

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 7, 2017

The board considers anything in the far right-hand column of the board to be "done".  It does not look at status or resolution.

You can use bulk edit to transition issues in the wrong status to the correct one en-masse, and I might be tempted to clean up the board by creating and ending a sprint.

Next time someone wants a workflow change, your admins need to ask them what status to move issues to if their current status is going away.

alexandre.clement.sterwen@axa.com November 7, 2017

Thanks! So its not even linked to the "green" box, only far right-hand corner..!

(I wanted to make a workflow change but didn't anticipate this, and couldn't really control it).

Will changing the status to the one corresponding to the far right-hand corner "clean" my backlog from those long time done issues?

Suggest an answer