Best way to organize my Jira installation

Henrik Melvold August 15, 2012

My company has just started up with Jira, and I'm a bit confused on the best way to configure it when it comes to user groups, project roles etc.

The situation is this:

- My company, let's call it "The Enterprise" want to use Jira to manage our software development. We have a few inhouse developers, and hire consultants to do most of the development. There are typically from 1 to 10 consultants from each consulting company for each project.

- I want to use Jira to manage about 10 systems.

- We use differenct consultant companies to develop different solutions.

- The consultant companies should be able to see/edit just their project/projects issues.

- Our employees can see/edit issues i all projects.

What is the best way to organize Jira to help me achieve this?

Should all users be in one group? Should i create one user group per consulting company?

Should I use the default schemes for security, issues etc, or should I create my own default schemes.

1 answer

1 vote
Jo-Anne MacLeod
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 15, 2012

I would be tempted to do the following

Put internal users in group "<Company name> Users"
Put consultants in a group "<consulting company Users"
create a role called "Consultants" (leave the defaults blank)
create a permission scheme that gives access to the group "<Company name> Users"
and to the role "Consultants"
On the projects, add to the role Consultants, the appropriate consulting company group
Make sure to remove the jira-users group from any permission scheme. The jira-user group should only be used to determine who is allowed to log into the company.

Make sense?

Henrik Melvold August 15, 2012

Thanks for your quick feedback!

I will try this approach.

Thanks again!

Suggest an answer