My company has just started up with Jira, and I'm a bit confused on the best way to configure it when it comes to user groups, project roles etc.
The situation is this:
- My company, let's call it "The Enterprise" want to use Jira to manage our software development. We have a few inhouse developers, and hire consultants to do most of the development. There are typically from 1 to 10 consultants from each consulting company for each project.
- I want to use Jira to manage about 10 systems.
- We use differenct consultant companies to develop different solutions.
- The consultant companies should be able to see/edit just their project/projects issues.
- Our employees can see/edit issues i all projects.
What is the best way to organize Jira to help me achieve this?
Should all users be in one group? Should i create one user group per consulting company?
Should I use the default schemes for security, issues etc, or should I create my own default schemes.
I would be tempted to do the following
Put internal users in group "<Company name> Users"
Put consultants in a group "<consulting company Users"
create a role called "Consultants" (leave the defaults blank)
create a permission scheme that gives access to the group "<Company name> Users"
and to the role "Consultants"
On the projects, add to the role Consultants, the appropriate consulting company group
Make sure to remove the jira-users group from any permission scheme. The jira-user group should only be used to determine who is allowed to log into the company.
This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.Read more
Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find a group
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.Start an AUG
You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs