Best way to have mixed workflows

Rich Ireland November 9, 2017

Not sure I want to do this, but thought I'd ask about the possibilities.

I've been asked to set up a project for the marketing team.  They initially liked the "Content Management" workflow, but would like to have tasks & sub-tasks that follow the more simple todo->in progress->done workflow.

It would be nice if I could just pull in the workflow from the "Project Management" project settings, but there doesn't appear to be an easy way to do this.

So I either re-create the issues & workflows for the other types, or have a separate project for tasks?  Is there a better alternative?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 9, 2017

Things like workflows are kept as a global list.  Schemes then select them to be associated with projects and their issues.

Your "content management" workflow is in that global list somewhere because you've got at least one project that has used it. 

I'm assuming you are going to create a project for the marketing people and select a type that gives them a simple "to do, in progress, done" workflow.

When you've created that, go to its admin section and look for the workflow scheme.  Edit that, and you'll find you have a list of issue types and a button for "add workflow" which will ask you which workflow you want to use for the issue types you select.  Choose tasks and sub-tasks.  (If you have issues already, it will walk you through any migration it needs to do)

Rich Ireland November 10, 2017

Actually, it's the reverse.  I made the "content management" project and need to add the simple one to it.

But the content management project template only has "asset" ticket types.

So the normal path is add issue types to the existing workflow and then change the workflow?

Thanks for the help.

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
November 10, 2017

Ah, I misunderstood the direction!

What you'll need to do is edit the "issue type scheme" for your project, adding in the other types you need.

Then amend the workflow scheme to say "use these workflows for those issue types"

You can do it either way around - the workflow scheme is just a mapping - it lists all possible issue types, and if the current project doesn't have that type, then it just gets ignored.

Suggest an answer