Best way to flag story as blocked until discussion.

John Cleveland April 11, 2017
I'm a user to a new company's Jira platform and am working on story's. I've put comments in some that need further discussion and I have a meeting setup for the discussion. Right now they are "In Progress". Is there some way to flag them as blocked for now so I can easily search or pull up the ones I need to discuss in the meeting?

5 answers

6 votes
Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2017

If you are interested in adding a new "Priority" Type, you can go to:

1. JIRA Administrator > Issues
  2. Locate the Priorities Tab (its under Issue Attributes)
  3. Under Add New Priotiy fill out the information (Name, Description, Icon URL and Priority Color)
  4. Here is what I used
    1. Name - Block
    2. Description - This is optional
    3. Icon URL - /images/icons/priorities/blocker.svg 
    4. Priority Color - #ff0000 
  5. Now you have created a new priorty type that will show users it is blocked.

Just to follow up, for easy use of "Blocked" issues after you have done this, you can create a new swimlane on your Scrum or Kanban board. 

1. Go to your board > Configure > Swimlanes
  2. Add a new name, and JQL. Here is what I did:
    1. Name - Blocked Issues
    2. JQL - Priorty = Blocked

This is what I did, I'm sure there are other ways.

Hope this is helpful!

Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 11, 2017

If you have any other questions about going this route, let me know!

I don't think I have access to do this and doubt the company I'm working for will want to change this just for me.

Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 11, 2017

It's very simple, but hopefully someone else will have another solution. 

Paul Clapton August 13, 2018

When you need to take the item out of the blocked priority state how will you know which priority to set it back to? Will you need to look at the history?

Like Nasar Ibrahim likes this
raiyeem_farhan March 14, 2020

Thanks @Thomas B  your solution worked like a charm.

0 votes
Lindsey Abrahamsen June 28, 2023

Add a blocked status to your issues

- Board Settings

- Columns

- Add status

- Blocked / In Progress

Create a filter that shows all items in blocked status

0 votes
Hammad Siddique April 13, 2017

can u send me some tutorial related to my issue..???

John Cleveland April 17, 2017

They asked you to open a new question with yours

0 votes
Hammad Siddique April 13, 2017

Hi

1. can we activate the more then 1 sprint at the same time in same project...????

2.can we use assign the diffierent time period to over assignee at the same active sprint..???

3. if i add  some task as the periority can we stop the last task..??? 

Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 17, 2017

Hammad, you should open these questions up as a new question

0 votes

It looks like on a story I can create a label.  Would that be a good way to identify them?

Thomas B
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 12, 2017

You could use a label too but I don't think you can see that label on the main Kanban/Scrum Board, you'll have to click into the issue anyways... 

However, if you have the ability to filter issues, you could filter by label = John C or whatever you enter. 

Suggest an answer