Best way for tracking Bugs in Greenhopper and moving incomplete ones to next sprint

smanne February 1, 2013

What is the Best way to track Bugs in a Agile Project (Scrum template) within Greenhopper. We created a Sub Task of type Bug for a Story and are rasing all bugs as the sub task of that story, this help us in tracking efforts spent against that Story. Currenty i have some open bugs and i need to move them to a new Sprint, however according to Greenhopper documentation we cant close the sprint until all sub tasks are closed for a User Story which is marked as closed. Is there any way to move those bugs without cloning them.

What would be the ideal way of tracking bugs so that the efforts spent against the Bug is also shown in the burn down chart and any incomplete bugs can be moved to next sprint

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chris McFadden
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2013

I recommend either deciding that the story is not "Done" until those bugs are fixed - so you would move the whole story and subtasks to the next Sprint - OR you decide the story is "Done" and you convert the bug from a subtask bug to a standard issue type bug. You should distinguish between Production Bugs and QA Bugs, as QA Bugs should not have any Story points.

smanne February 1, 2013

Thanks Chris, Converting it to a normal issue is pretty much how i thought of doing it, but that would also mean that they will not be part of next sprint because i am assuming that bugs will not be shown in Rapidboard (only Stories, Epics). These are not true Production Bugs, but the sprint is release to client i need to treat them as such.

Renjith Pillai
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 1, 2013

No Dinesh, bugs are also shown in the Rapid board. It simple depends on the filter that you select for the board and you can plan them similar to a story for a sprint.

At the same time, I would suggest to keep the story open till all the bugs found during the sprint are resolved, else carry over the story to the next sprint.

smanne February 6, 2013

I converted the open Bug (sub Task) to Standard bug and moved them to next iteration

Suggest an answer