Best practice for testing JIRA customizations ?

Karthik Bhat October 18, 2012

Hi,

If I am doing some customizations in JIRA, like testing a new plugin or adding a new scheme, as an administrator and I dont want to make the system live to my end users before I test it thoroughly, what is the best practice that I should follow?

I cannot take the system down every time I try something new in JIRA. Please comment. Thanks in advance.

2 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Thomas Schlegel
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
October 18, 2012

Hi Karthik,

you need a Jira test system that has the same configuration as your real system. That's the usual way of testing new plugins or other system changes.

Cheers

Thomas

How do I bring up a test system with the same configuration as my real system? Can you please elaborate more or provide me the link if this is documented already? I dont need the attachments from the real system since it might take a lot of time to replicate. Thanks!

Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2012

I would recommend you follow the same procedures you would use if you lost your primary system and needed to recover. Restore DB and home directory from backups into a new install. Apply your other customizations however those are documented.

That helped! Thank you Bob.

0 votes
Bob Swift OSS (Bob Swift Atlassian Apps)
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 18, 2012

GINT - Groovy Integration Test Framework has some JIRA specific enablers. You can use it to test against a test or production instance. You can do better testing against a test instance as Thomas suggest since you can easily create and delete issues, progress issues, and make configuration changes you would not want to do on a production instance. In a production environment, you need some test projects that can be created and deleted. You should also be careful about suppressing notifications for any testing - How to limit notifications for automation actions

Suggest an answer