Best practice for project creation

Deleted user May 28, 2020

We want to track the progress of the team (both development & QA). I want to understand what is the better process here, should I have two projects, one for QA and other for Development? We also need to track the time taken by each individual to complete the project. 

Also, if creating two projects is a better way is there a way to trigger the QA project that Development team has completed certain task?

1 answer

0 votes
Gloria Ojukwu
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
May 28, 2020

Hi @[deleted] , the best way is to have both QA and Development in one project. You can set it through the board setting(either Kanban/or Scrum), through the column in the board setting you can add as many columns as you like. Its easier to manage the project when you have all your workflows just in one project than navigating through two projects. For the time tracking, the most basic way is to have the team members log time spent on each ticket. Look at the 3 dots on top of a ticket, users can click on it to log their time. So you can check the work-log when ever you want. However to get more detailed analysis of time tracks, like montly, weekly, by issues, by users, etc. you can special plugins from the market place. For wider options, kindly check this out https://confluence.atlassian.com/adminjiracloud/configuring-time-tracking-818578858.html

I hope this helps,

Gloria.

Deleted user May 28, 2020

Hi @Gloria Ojukwu thanks for responding. What you said makes sense. However, in QA process we also want to have test cases on Jira. Don't you think this will become unorganized?

I have been exploring the option to use two project. What I am wondering is that whether there is a way to have two interlinked projects (one for QA and other for Dev)? I believe that user story will be same across both the projects but the tasks will be different in both user story. In development, we will have tasks under user story and in QA we will have test cases under user story. 

Does it make sense to have it this way?

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
FREE
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events