Best practice, changing workflow

Deleted user July 27, 2016

Internal customer wants to change a workflow. There will be the same # of statuses.

The current workflow is not used by any other project.

Would it be best to just edit the current workflow - changing the statuses and transitions to the new ones?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2016

I would create a copy of the workflow and make all of your changes on that copy to begin with. To modify your workflow without messing anything else up, you'll need to make sure you aren't changing the global value of a status. The best way to accomplish that is instead of "editing" a status (changing it's name or category), you will want to remove the statuses you don't want from your workflow, and replace them with the ones you do want. Statuses can only be removed from an inactive workflow, which is why I suggest making a copy. Once you have the new workflow how you want it, you can associate it with the project. 

Deleted user July 27, 2016

Thanks Kian, 

As far as changing the workflow. Best from the project page, "add Workflow" or switch scheme?

Kian Stack Mumo Systems
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 27, 2016

Unless you've already created a workflow scheme for the new workflow, I would just click "add workflow" when viewing the workflows from the project page. Just add the new workflow for the issue types it's needed for. 

0 votes
MattS
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 27, 2016

If you are comfortable with editing the exported XML of a workflow, you can make very precise changes.

Deleted user August 11, 2016

Matt, do you know of any documentation regarding completing this?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events