Best method to deal with users who are no longer with company

What is the best method to deal with the user accounts that are no longer with the company?

I want to make sure that they do not count against my license and also do not want to delete the user.

Is removing them from every group taking care of this?

4 answers

1 accepted

1 vote

Just removing them from 'JIRA Users' global permission will take them out of license count. But removing from all groups and maybe adding them to an inactive-users group is preferred as they don't turn up in project roles, other permissions etc.

So remove them from all groups. Add them to a group that has no permission at all. Correct?

yup.That's right.

@Bob I don't think you need permission as long as the user is visible. Error comes only when user is deleted.

Only if you try to assign/edit it again, the current assignee will be removed since it doesn't have any permission. That normally makes sense since it is not a valid user anymore.

If the are the assignee on any old issue, they need to retain that permission or you have trouble updating that issue. Alternative is to modify the issues and remove them - that can be a pain.

BTW, does the same way work for Confluence? I know I can "disable" users in COnfluence. Should I then remove them from all groups, add them to "nopermission" group and then still click on Disable link?

Yes, just remove them from teh jira-users group. That would disable their usernames

We implemented Jobin's solution... moving ex-users to a group called "left". It's not very elegant but it's easy to do.

Note that a user can still have a project role even if they are not in jira-users.

A new feature aimed at handling inactive users is currently scheduled, ostensibly for JIRA v5.1

Edit: 19th June. I see that the inactive users feature has made it into JIRA v5.1 RC2

Here's some Atlassian documentation on the topic:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Managing+Users#ManagingUsers-DeactivatingaUser

Thus far (we're in JIRA 5.0.3), when we deactivate a user, we remove them from any assigned groups and projects and assign them to a group called "Inactive." As the work logs associated with the user remain, we append "(inactive)" to the end of the user's name. We also change the user's email account to a dead-end account address as filter subscriptions persist.

*Sorry about the bold...can't turn it off.

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Community Anniversary

Happy Anniversary, Atlassian Community!

This community is celebrating its one-year anniversary and Atlassian co-founder Mike Cannon-Brookes has all the feels.

Read more
Community showcase
Julia Dillon
Posted Tuesday in Jira

Tell us how your team runs on Jira!

Hey Atlassian Community! Today we are launching a bunch of customer stories about the amazing work teams, like Dropbox and Twilio, are doing with Jira. You can check out the stories here. The thi...

221 views 1 18
Join discussion

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you