Best method for tracking confluence page approvals via JIRA Epic?

Dan Hamlin July 12, 2017

We are working to transition much of our document creation into Confluence for collaboration and tracking.  The document evolution is relatively well defined (0.1 -> 0.5 - 1.0, etc). 

We want to be able to run a report within JIRA that details the approval status of one or more documents that are housed in Confluence.  Each epic will have different approvers.  

We've tried:

• Page Approvals macro, but have had limited success due to many changes not fully tracking
  • Manually creating sub-tasks for each document revision for creating and approving automatically. 
  • Manually creating an "approval" chart in Confluence. 

These attempts have lead to a lot of false starts and resetting some basic workflow requirements for our team.  Additionally, we haven't been able to report out in a clear way for JIRA.  We are thinking of a very rigid workflow of states reflecting each document revision (0.1, 0.5, 1.0, etc) but that allows little to no flexiblity in the future. 

any suggestions? 

2 answers

1 vote
Jack Brickey
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 14, 2017

In my previous job we use Comala Workflows and I liked it. With my new company we use cloud so not an option. Personally, I would prefer a Confluence plugin vs. using JIRA but that is just me. :-)

What about this...

Create a project for Confluence documents and create a workflow that meets your need. e.g.

• Open
  • In Progress
  • Ready for Review
  • Versioned (Done)

Create a custom field for the revision: 0.1...0.5...1.0. Require the version to be added w/ the Ready for Review transition and then again when transitioing to Versioned.

This, or similar, should allow you to create a dashboard to illustrate the status. 

Just a thought...

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 14, 2017

I am not sure how you are setting the approval status in Confluence - there is no Approval functionality out of the box. Are you by chance using Page Approval by ServiceRocket? How does the approval status get recorded into JIRA so that reports can be run based on the approvals?

Dan Hamlin July 14, 2017

We tried the Page Approval by ServiceRocket, but as you allude, the approval status does NOT get populated into Jira.  We had to do it manually and as such wasn't scalable in an automated manner. 

Suggest an answer