Best Practice for Upgrading 5.4.1 > latest version

Mark Upcraft March 6, 2016

Hi Everyone,

Our client needs to upgrade their Atlassian server they are running a number of Atlassian services, the key applications are JIRA (Ver-5.4.1, SEN-2983550) and Confluence (Ver-5.4.1, SEN-2996962). These versions are now a number of years old and they need these updated to the latest versions.

This will require:

• Reviewing best practice, I.E. How many servers are required, is one enough? How much Memory is recommended? Upgrade to ver 6 before upgrading to Ver7 required? etc etc.
  • Are the upgrades compatibile with 3rd party software? (Comala Workflows, Gliffy, Scroll Office, Scroll PDF exporter, Talk, Numbered Headings)
  • Migrating the database (which may include recommending a different database technology – currently Microsoft SQL)

Has anyone else had a similar setup and if so, are you able to give any advice or information on how to make this upgrade as smooth as possible?

Thanks in advance, Mark.

1 answer

0 votes
Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 6, 2016

Howdy there Mark. None of these seem particularly crazy or out of the ordinary, do you have any questions in particular?

You should be reading all release and upgrade notes from each patch you're going through and past. You can read more about upgrading JIRA here – https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/upgrading-jira-using-a-rapid-upgrade-method-312738529.html

Specifically I'm sure you're interested in the version specific upgrade information, detailing any issues in upgrade paths that you might want to be concerned with. https://confluence.atlassian.com/jira/important-version-specific-upgrade-notes-229839720.html

I'm fairly certain that all the add-ons are supported in the latest version of Confluence. Usually you'd completely stage and test an upgrade – Running the system and tools through a user acceptance test should pick up any irregularities. Obviously you'd be checking the add-on's documentation for more information.

Migrating databases is really no different than doing it for any other system or application. Just follow the guides.

Suggest an answer