Beginner Question: Kanban & External Users

roc_steady November 28, 2016

Hello all,

We're looking to use our JIRA instance for System Testing with external users in order to replace our current bug tracking system - Mantis. 

Currently, all of our project(s) issues are being fed into an overarching Kanban board that provides us with a view of all issues for all projects at the same time. 

I would like to create a Kanban board for each specific project that deals with the system testing stage of the project. 

I would like to share this Kanban board with external users (clients) and I was wondering if it's possible to somehow restrict the external users account to only allow the following:

1. ONLY see the project that they've been assigned to (I assume this would be dealt through roles)
  2. ONLY see issues (bugs) that they have created 
  3. ONLY see the UAT Kanban board (ideally, I would like for their issues to still appear in the overarching global Kanban board).

In summary - the external user would have a clean slate, where they can create issues(bugs) and view their progress without seeing prior issues assigned to the project, other projects or potential kanban boards created for that project. 

I'm not sure if I expressed myself well, if there are further clarification questions needed before advice can be given I'll do my best to articulate it. 

1 answer

0 votes
Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 28, 2016

Hi Rokas,

All of this is possible. Taking your points one at a time, this is roughly how to do:

ONLY see the project that they've been assigned to (I assume this would be dealt through roles)

Set up a role for external users. Ensure that this external users role has the 'Browse project' permissions. Make sure your external users aren't in other groups/roles that have 'Browse project'. Users granted the external user role for a particular project will then be able to view it.

ONLY see issues (bugs) that they have created 

Use issue-level security to restrict viewing of issues to reporters +  internal users. For external users that means they'll only be able to see issues they have created.

ONLY see the UAT Kanban board (ideally, I would like for their issues to still appear in the overarching global Kanban board).

Make sure that boards that you don't want external users to see are restricted so they cannot view. You can choose this by changing the sharing of the underlying filter.

Sam

roc_steady November 29, 2016

Awesome, thank you so much Sam 

Sam Hall
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2016

You are welcome. I hope you find helpful. If you do, please consider marking my answer as accepted : )

Suggest an answer