Bcc JIRA issue without leaking issue key in email subject

Matthew McClure June 6, 2017

I'm using JIRA as an ATS using the built-in recruiting workflows, customized for my own process.

I'd like to be able to Bcc JIRA when I send email to a candidate.

As far as I can tell, JIRA uses the email subject to determine which issue the email relates to.

I'd prefer to avoid leaking the JIRA issue key to the recipient via the email subject.

Other systems generate email addresses that are unique to a given conversation. With that capability, I could Bcc the issue's unique email address.

Does JIRA or one of its add-ons provide that kind of capability?

How else could I streamline communication with candidates and keep records of the communication in JIRA?

1 answer

1 vote
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 14, 2017

Hey Matthew. We're looking at building an Add-On to do a similiar things. Maybe worth jumping on a call to discuss your requirements?

We're looking at a Connect Add-On that would work against on premise and Cloud deployments. It would function similar to Pipedrive's Smart BCC field.

Hit me up at colin at assemblient.com if you'd like more info as things move faster if we have more people needing it :)

Cheers

Matthew McClure June 14, 2017

Colin, great to see you're thinking about building "smart Bcc". I'm not sure I can add much regarding requirements. I imagine two possible ways I could use Bcc in JIRA better:

1. All email communication with a candidate uses a machine-generated email address that's unique to the conversation. JIRA would forward messages sent to the conversation's email addresss to the participants in the conversation. The way AngelList's recruiting conversations works is a good example of a proof of concept.
  2. Alternatively, JIRA could route messages received at a single jira@example.atlassian.net address to the issue corresponding to the candidate's email address. In that case, I would forward messages the candidate sends to me to JIRA, or Bcc JIRA when I reply to the candidate.
Colin Goudie
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 16, 2017

Yeah, fits what we are thinking.

Are you on server or cloud deployments?

Suggest an answer