Basic Jira object setup

Chris Morphew October 29, 2012

I have an initial question on the best way of setting up projects and task objects within Jira for our development environment.

To explain, we have one main software product and we manage a number of concurrent functionality enhancements, new features, bugs etc. Features are rolled out in incremental versions or patches thereon.

I assume we define one single ‘project’ and all future developments are added as ‘new feature’ sub-objects with sub tasks within each?

Eventually the plan will be to implement Kanban boards using Greenhopper. I just want to get something working with regards to tracking tasks as a first step so I can a feel for the system.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
JustinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 30, 2012

I would have to agree that having a defined project is the best way forward for your use case scenario. Within this project setup, you can use the predefined issue types, or add new ones if you have any that might fit your requirement. Something like this:

• Bugs
  • New Features
  • Improvements

If there is a need to use sub-tasks, I believe that it would be useful to employ them into the New Features and Improvements issue types. This is a scenario that sometimes, to implement a new feature to your product, you would have to perform small bits of tasks in order to get the entire new feature to work.

Also, each of these issue types may have a different set of workflow transitions that needs to be employed before rolling out as a patch or part of an incremental release. A workflow for a Bug type issue can be as follow:

Open > Verified > Requirements Gathering > In Development > Testing > In Deployment > Deployed

You can also set priorities for these bugs as per severity of the bug itself.

Implementing the whole idea into Kanban would be seamless, as you can predefined versions releases for issues. Set this as quick filters to have a more concise and specific view on your workload. Customise the columns and swimlanes of the Kanban board to have a better overview on the flow of your work, and you should be good to go! :)

Justin Alex, Atlassian

Chris Morphew October 30, 2012

Thank you for the detailed response! I have dived into the setup of appropriate issue types/issue attributes/workflows over the last day or so and from your post it sounds as though I am on the right track. I will update with progress!

Chris Morphew October 31, 2012

The main thing not clear to me at the moment is what detail to take the workflows to for issue types and sub-tasks. For example, should I set up a workflow for the 'New feature' issue type which will relate to a whole project process right through scope iteration, specification iteration, sign off, build, test and release or define a high-level workflow for 'New feature' and create workflow schemes for sub-tasks such as 'Specification'.

Hope you can point me in the right direction!

JustinA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 31, 2012

Sure thing, Rockille! Let us know how the setup goes. Good luck! ;)

Suggest an answer