Bamboo copy tasks between plans/jobs enhancement

Gretchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 18, 2013

Sure would be nice to be able to copy a task from another job/plan while editing a bamboo job. We have separate builds for environments, and everytime I make a change to one, I need to make the same change in five other plans. The autocomplete is helpful but it would be really nice to be able to do a copy function quickly.

Another thing that would be handy is a list of plan/branch/global variables that displays in a sidebar while editing a task. (or autocomplete on bamboo variable entry in a script or command). I can never remember whether I used ${bamboo.jiraticketnbr} or ${bamboo.jiraticketnumber} or ${bamboo.jira.ticket.number} etc. I could of course come up with a standard way of doing things but that's asking a lot. :)

Love the product, just had some suggestions that didn't look like something I should put in a support ticket.

6 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Brent Villalobos
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 22, 2013

Created this one if anyone wants to vote for it: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/BAM-13658

2 votes
Gretchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2013

I created two "new feature" issues :

BAM-13657 Copy task/job from one job/plan/stage to another during configuration

and

BAM-13659 Display a sidebar (or variable list like you do for the global variables in a separate window only maybe value-editable)

Brent, I didn't see that you had already done that for one of them. I'll link the two issues.

If anyone would like to vote or follow.

0 votes
Deleted user August 25, 2013

FYI I created a similar feature request for "Plan Templates" a couple of weeks ago. See:

BAM-13600

0 votes
Gretchen
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2013

Well, I would still have to copy the task that called the script with all the arguments etc. A big part is to be able to keep things in the same order in two different plans, often the variables are different by branch or by environment. We regularly are building for more than one branch and more than one environment. So the jobs and tasks aren't identical but must be ordered the same. To copy from one job to another would allow me to work more quickly, changing the unique arguments within the task. Example, I recently changed from passing in a username to passing the username in a variable. The same task exists in six builds and five branches each build. I had to add two new variables to the argument list on each command call to an executable. Adding a new task (calling a command) to a build then once tested, it's copied to each of the other environment builds.

0 votes
Jason Monsorno
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2013

You might be defeating the purpose here a bit. If you have the same task in different job/plan and need to always change it across the board that should be moved out of bamboo and into a script or something. Then just have all of them call that script. Another option would be to use global variables if you're consistently changing some argument/etc.

0 votes
RianA
Rising Star
Rising Star
August 22, 2013

Hi Gretched, perhaps you could raise this up as either New Feature or Improvement at our Issue tracker https://jira.atlassian.com. Please make sure you raised it under Bamboo project. :)

Suggest an answer