Bamboo Workflow

Cesar Covarrubias June 19, 2013

We are evaluating Bamboo to integrate with our current development and release process, but we have a few questions.

In order to meet compliance, we need to have a defined workflow, with permissions to certain steps. Our current release management software has the following workflow:

1. Developer initiates build and releases code to QA environment
  2. Security team runs a scan on code and approves for release to prod.
  3. Engineer releases code to Staging Server
  4. Engineer releases code to Prod.

Is there a way in Bamboo to assign certain stages to certain people? Is there a way to prevent future steps from happening unless the previous steps were successful or (in the case of #2) approved?

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2013

Also, I think it would be good idea if you would check the following blog post about upcoming Bamboo 5 -> http://blogs.atlassian.com/2013/05/version-management-jira-bamboo/ - I think that you're actually wanting features that will be released with the version 5.0. Maybe you should even evaluate Bamboo 5 demo to check the deployment support.

Maybe it's not worth to integrate with Bamboo using Stages for your workflow, but rather wait for Bamboo 5 and utilize the power of "Environments" and "Deployments"? (see the linked blog post for what am I talking about).

Will Bamboo 5 be released anytime soon or is the company going to wait til Summit?

PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
June 19, 2013

When is the Summit?

PiotrA
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 19, 2013

Note: I'm not the Bamboo owner here (I'm just a developer) so I might be wrong as to the company plans.

I think Bamboo will be released sooner than the Summit - I don't think that we want to wait with all that stuff till October. So I'm guessing Bamboo 5.0 will be available in the next two months. Maybe sooner.

Cesar Covarrubias June 20, 2013

Looks like Bamboo 5 is going to do exactly what we need it to. The only thing we need to figure out is how to require that code is pushed out to the previous environment before allowing the next environment to get it.

0 votes
Erik Husby June 19, 2013

Yes, you can control who initiates a build by assigning users or groups to the BUILD permission. And there are Build Dependency Blocking strategies that you can setup to prevent a build from running.

However, you may need to program your own set of checks to prevent unapproved builds. One way would be a task that checks for the approval and fails the build if its not approved.

Suggest an answer