Backups and Restore in JIRA OnDemand

Michael Bruch June 30, 2014

Hi,

I have a couple of questions regarding backups and restores in JIRA OnDemand:

1 - I can run a backup manually through the Backup Manager which will be saved to the WebDav directory, however the site states that backups are "...automatically deleted after 24 hours.". Does this mean that if a I want a backup to be always available I have to back it up manually, on a cycle of less than 24 hours (which is not feasible)?

2 - Can individual projects be restored from backup (assuming one is available) in JIRA on demand, or does a restore overwrite the entire content?

3 - This system seems very rudimentary, and as Atlassian doesn't provide a restore service for JIRA OnDemand (https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/AOD/About+Your+Data#AboutYourData-Howoftenisdatabackedup), is the only option for regular backups to utilise a stand alone instance of JIRA (self hosted/maintained)?

Thanks in advance,

Mike

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 1, 2014

Hi Michal,

1. On OnDemand there is no need to perform manual backups. About your data explains that backups of instances are kept on OnDemand servers in case of unthinkable circunstances occur and data is lost. They are kept for 15 days. I recommend performing a backup if you are doing an import or changes that might really modify the instance. Backups are high on CPU and database usage so there is a timer in place to prevent admins from running several backups. If you need the timer reset, please contact OnDemand Support and it can be reset in a few minutes.

2. The Jira Project Import tool is not available on OnDemand, it is a Restricted Function. To merge a project from another instance on OnDemand you'll have to merge them on a Local instance and then import again to OnDemand.

3. Jira OnDemand can be restored in another Jira OnDemand or local instance. What do you mean a restore service? If your instance needs to be restored, OnDemand Support provides the service and will recover the instance as it was on any previous day at around 0hs within 15 days.

Hope that clarifies.

Cheers!
Mauro

Michael Bruch July 1, 2014

Hi Mauro,

Thanks for the answer, but can you clarify please?

1 - You say that in OnDemand there is no need to perform manual backups, but according to the "about your data" link, backups automatically performed by Atlassian cannot be used to restore individual projects/issues, so the OnDemand instance is not protected against the accidental deletion of content by users, only against disaster correct?

2 - So basically, the answer to my question is no, correct?

3 - I mean a restore of individual issues/projects to a point in time, from say the last 7 days, without overwriting all existing content. As I understand it, this is not possible in JIRA OnDemand only on stand-alone?

Thanks,

Michal

Mauro Badii
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 3, 2014

You are correct on all the points Michal,

1. Correct, OnDemand instance backups are done to recover against disasters. They are images of the instance in a point in time. Not exports.

2. Correct, the answer is 'no'. Importing projects is a Restricted Function.

3. Correct, as you are not able to import a single project on OnDemand, if you perform backups, you can only restore it completely, overwritting everything else.

Cheers!

Suggest an answer