Backup in JIRA

Ankita Sharma January 20, 2015

Hi Team,

I have explored that we can take backup of database contents, attachments and JIRA installation directory in JIRA.

Would you be able to tell me that what other kind of data can be backed up in JIRA?

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Ankita

2 answers

4 votes
Onkar Ahire
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2015

Hi Ankita,

You can go for XML backup Administration

1. Log in as a user with the 'JIRA System Administrators'global permission.
  2. Choose  > System. Select Import & Export > Backup System to open the Backup JIRA data page.

For more information 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Backing+Up+Data

Regards

Onkar Ahire

Hi Onkar,

I have already checked this link.

Can you please tell me any other type of data or JIRA contents other than the ones I provided in my last question which can be backed up uisng the backing up process?

Thanks,

Ankita

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2015

The Jira backup process backs up your Jira data. I'm not sure what else you are looking for or expecting here?

Hi Nic,

Thanks for the reply smile

Actually my concern is that i need to take back up of JIRA data.

So I will take back up of database, attachments, JIRA installation or home directory.

Please let me know is there anything else that I need to take back up of, from JIRA? I mean any other type of data that I can back up other than database, attachments, JIRA installation directory in case of failure .

Thanks,

Ankita

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 20, 2015

No, you just need the database and the attachments. The backup of the installation will make it easier to recover in a disaster, but you could skip it if you are happy to re-install from scratch (this assumes you have not customised anything of course), and then point it at the recovered database and attachments.

Miguel Angel Hernández January 21, 2015

If you have changed any file in JIRA_INSTALLATION directory (like setenv.sh for memory parameters...) it should be backed up too.

But with the JIRA_HOME and database should be enough for restore your JIRA instance.

3 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
January 20, 2015

I don't really understand the question.  

The backup is the backup of JIRA.  All your data from the database plus the attachments.  You can rebuild a JIRA from that.  That's it, what else do you want from it?  Other stuff is not JIRA data, so it's irrelevant to a JIRA backup.  (Onkar has covered everything else I was tempted to say)

You've additionally backed up the JIRA installation, that can be useful in a crash too.  

Suggest an answer