Backup JIRA without access to site

P July 16, 2015

Hi,

we're in the process in upgrading JIRA to its newest version (currently we're on 6.0.1) + migrating to a newer server.

However, since our JIRA seems to be bugged out, we cannot access its site properly. 

I do have full root access on the server JIRA is currently running on.

How do I do a full backup (I already saved  <jira-home> dir) of JIRA (its issues, its projects etc.) without any access to the "website" ? Neither via <IP>:<port> nor via Apache proxy.

~Pascal

1 answer

0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2015

You need to fix the "bugged out" before you are going to get far with this.

There is one option that could get you around it without needing access to a working JIRA, but it depends on how your current system is configured.  What database are you using and is it on a separate server?

P July 16, 2015

We do use a Mysql database. I dont have the knowledge to find out whats causing the non usage of our JIRA. I can tail my way around catalina.out all I want, I dont see anything usefull.

P July 16, 2015

I guess JIRA has done a backup of its own in <jira-home>/exports. How do I know if its a full backup? Its filename is "2015-Jul-17--1059.zip". Last lines of catalina btw: INFO: Server startup in 997019 ms 2015-07-17 11:00:36,562 QuartzScheduler_Worker-1 INFO ServiceRunner Sicherungsdienst [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultExportService] Data export completed in 59405ms. Wrote 60349 entities to export in memory. 2015-07-17 11:00:36,614 QuartzScheduler_Worker-1 INFO ServiceRunner Sicherungsdienst [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultExportService] Attempting to save the Active Objects Backup 2015-07-17 11:00:49,703 QuartzScheduler_Worker-1 INFO ServiceRunner Sicherungsdienst [jira.bc.dataimport.DefaultExportService] Finished saving the Active Objects Backup

Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 16, 2015

Ok, it's able to create a backup at least, so yes, you can use that to move to a new server (any data added after the date/time on that file will be lost) See https://confluence.atlassian.com/display/JIRA/Migrating+JIRA+to+Another+Server

Suggest an answer