Backlog not showing all items even when query is simple

BigSteveGuitar June 10, 2021

Good day - first post.

I am a veteran JIRA user working with a new company. I inherited a JIRA install that has been a bit of a challenge to untangle. Currently I have backlog items not showing unless they are in a state of QA or are a Zephyr Test case. Even when I strip the backlog query to the basic project = <my project> and ORDER BY Rank ASC the other work item types do not show up. They do show up when I click on the blue Issue Navigator button which is how I deduced the commonality of Test Cases and "any work item in a QA/Test State".

The one exception is when a Sprint is "active" it shows more work items, but still not everything.

It seems like there is some sort of secondary query filter somewhere, but I cannot find it even with the help of my local admin and another user who (like me) is a long time JIRA admin. We are all stumped. 

HELP!?!?!?!?!??

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

Hello @BigSteveGuitar 

Welcome to the community.

Can you show us a screen image of the Backlog screen?

Do you have any Quick Filters activated on the Backlog screen that might be hiding some of the issues?

Can you identify and provide a screen image of an item that you think should be in the backlog but is not?

Can you show us the Columns page under Board Settings? 

Here's the Backlogs (aka another Sprint but not Active) - The Platform Improvements shows 1 issues - but clicking on the blue issue nav button shows 26 items

Backlog Showing Not Enough Work Items.pngFilter of same Sprint but showing 26 Items.png

Here's the columns under the Admin/Configure/Columns Columns in the Admin Configure Panel.pngpanel

Trudy Claspill
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
June 10, 2021

When you click on the blue issues button for the sprint it shows all the issues that have that sprint's value in their Sprint field. When you are looking at the sprint in the Backlog screen, it will show you only the issues with that sprint's value in their Sprint field that also are within the scope of the filter used by the board.

There may be issues assigned to the sprint that are not within the scope of the boards filter.

I also see that you have unmapped statuses with non-zero issue counts in your Columns page. That would indicate there are issues within scope of your board's filter that are in those statuses. But, since you don't have the statuses mapped to a column, issues in those statuses will not display on your board or in your backlog.

Can you identify and provide a screen image of an item that you think should be in the backlog but is not?

What version of JIRA server are you using?

Like Bill Sheboy likes this
BigSteveGuitar June 11, 2021

Thanks for the answers, it was the unmapped statuses that were the issue.

Now a feel like a total newbie - DOH!

Suggest an answer