Back up JIRA installation for migration without being able to log in

adamrezich May 6, 2014

I have an Ubuntu server that I had a friend running a JIRA installation on. We want to back up his JIRA installation such that he can migrate it to his own server now that he has one, leaving me room to install my own copy of JIRA for my own use. Problem is, I can't get ahold of the guy right now, and I'd really like to get my own JIRA going ASAP.

Given that I have root access to my server, is there any way I can back up everything from my friend's JIRA installation such that he can easily migrate it in, when I can't log into thie JIRA installation to do an XML export? Can I just do an SQL dump and make a copy of the application-data directory, will that work?

1 answer

0 votes
Daniel Watania May 19, 2014

Hi Adam,

Does your friend's JIRA actively running currently, or is it off for now? Because if it is still running, JIRA has the automatic backup running every midnight (unless he has changed it). It is located in <JIRA_HOME>/export directory. You can use that XML backup and restore it to the other server.

However, if the database backup is not recent, then you can refer to this documentation on Migrate JIRA to Another Server. You can follow the steps provided in that documentation.

Cheers,
Daniel

Suggest an answer