Back to Previous status in the workflow?

Sindhu July 25, 2017

Hi Team,

I have created a workflow with some status

ex: if the status "open" to  "Inprogress"  it should back to previos status

i mean it should come back from " Inprogress" to Open

How can i achieve it.

Please suggest on this.

Thanks in Advance 

Sindhu

6 answers

2 votes
tyrone kimble July 13, 2023

Can also create a Previous Status field using the following script as an example:

Previous Field Example.png

0 votes
Raphael Lopes May 3, 2023

Create a field called "Last Status", then create a post-function in the transition "Awaiting Customer" for example and use the option "Copy Value From Other Field" in Source Field = Status and Destination Field = "Last Status". Then create an automation similar to the one in the photo below.

2023-05-04 00_24_18-Automation - Jira.png

0 votes
Andree Knoche August 24, 2022
0 votes
Juale Mercan October 13, 2020

I Have the same problem and I'm not sure how to solve it.

Do I have to configure a custon field with previous status or can I get this value somewhere else?

0 votes
Sindhu July 26, 2017

Hi Stephen Deutsch ,

Thannks for your suggestion.

At last i got solution for it by using "workflow tool box" boolean condition 

with help of " previous status" i have achieved it

Thanks,

Sindhu

Michael Lorei January 18, 2019

Hello Sindhu,

how exactly did you implement it? I mean, where did you configure the boolean condition?

I am having a status "Waiting for customer" and that is available everywhere (global). Now I want, that I always go back to the same status from where I came from.

I don't want to build every transition separately. And you write, you have found a sollution for it by WTB boolean condition "previous status". 

So I am curious to know, how exactly and where did you then implement this condition? Did you have to make one transition somewhere from the global status or how?

Thanks in advance,

Erja

0 votes
Stephen Deutsch
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
July 25, 2017

Hi Sindhu,

JIRA workflows are set up as a directed graph, which means they will only follow the way that the arrow is pointing if you look at the workflow in the "Diagram" mode. If you want to be able to go back from "In Progress" to "Open", you'll need to add a new transition from "In Progress" back to "Open". 

Alternatively, if you want any status to be able to transition back to "Open", just add a new transition and choose "any status" from the "from status" dropdown.

Sindhu July 26, 2017

Thanks for your information .

Let me explain my requirement properly

Open -> Inprogress

Backlog->Inprogress

Analysis->Inprogress

--

---- 

--- > Inprogress

Now from "Inprogess" to back to previous status.

how can we know it comes from which status to -> Inprogress

ex: if the status "Backlog" to "Inprogress"  and back to "backlog"

and Analysis->Inprogress and back to "Analysis"

Please kindly let us know is there any way to achieve it.

Suggest an answer