Aws Jira QuickStart leads to 502 Bad Gateway error

Taswar Bhatti January 25, 2021

I have launched the quick start on aws and it keeps giving 502 error. Has anyone tested it I am using the template form github with vpc

https://github.com/aws-quickstart/quickstart-atlassian-jira/blob/main/templates/quickstart-jira-dc-with-vpc.template.yaml

I have tried it in different region also same issue everytime.

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Steinar Line - Kantega SSO January 26, 2021

We had the exact same problem when setting this up today. We were able to solve by logging into the AWS system to start Jira with these commands (IPs and values will be found in your AWS setup):

ssh -A -i ~/.ssh/YOUR-AWS-CLIENT-KeyPair.pem ec2-user@<your-bastioan-IP>
ssh <your-jira-server-internal-ip>
sudo -s
service jira start

Taswar Bhatti January 26, 2021

Thanks alot I was worried for a while logged in but didnt know which service now I know the answer and got it working :)

Thanks a million :)

Karan Jagdish January 28, 2021

I get the message

'jira: unrecognized service'

Where would the installation direct for Jira DC be when using AWS Quickstart?

Steinar Line - Kantega SSO January 28, 2021

The "your-jira-server-internal-ip" where you need to log in to via Bastion for your Jira server is found in the Private IPv4 addresses field in your Jira instance server in the EC2 Instances list view in AWS. Hope this helps you.

Taswar Bhatti January 28, 2021

You need to jump into your jira server not just the bastion host. ssh into the bastion host and then ssh into the jira server using the private ip usually (10.*.*.*) you an get the ip address from your EC2 console on your Jira Instance machine. You will need to use the pem key you created.

Once inside your jira server then you can execute the command as mentioned above.

If not try to see if you have anything at

/etc/init.d/jira
Karan Jagdish January 28, 2021

My earlier message was unclear, apologies. I had logged into the bastion host and then went on to log into Jira Node.

By running the above commands in the Jira Node I got the message 'Jira: unrecognized service'.

I was able to resolve the '502 Bad Gateway' issue by restarting the Jira node. After waiting about 10 - 15 mins the Jira Application is up and running. Thank you for your help.

Suggest an answer