Average age chart not working

Linus Lindroth January 17, 2018

Hi

We made a deeper analysis of the average age chart because old historical values are constantly changing. You would expect to see a trend, in our case per month, but if previous months are changing all the time it is quite useless.

When investigating I can't even get the current month figures to be correct. Does anyone know the JQL behind the scenes?

For example our Average Age Chart now say that we in January 2018 have 305 unresolved issues. If I use the same filter and add the "AND resolution is Empty" I get 283 issues. Same if I try with "resolved is Empty" or "resolutiondate is empty". If I instead add the "AND resolved >= 2018-01-01" I get 32 issues, so if it would count all unresolved PLUS the ones resolved in January it still doesn't count to 305 but rather 315. So how the heck does it come to 305 unresolved in January???

It gets even more wrong if I try to sort out the previous months figures since I don't understand the mechanism behind. Can anyone help here?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Linus Lindroth January 26, 2018

I think I figured out the answer myself by exporting everything to excel and trying to simulate the same result.

In fact, the average age chart does not count the issues created and solved within the same month. So the fast ones doesn't count which isn't right I believe?
For example, for the bar representing Jan 2017, it takes all issues created before 2017-01-01 that wasn't resolved before 2017-01-01. So an issue created 2016-12-31 and solved 2017-01-15 will count but not an issue created 2017-01-01 and solved the 15th. The latter will not be seen at all, not even in Feb's bar since it was already solved in Jan.

I also realized in the calculation that JIRA not only counts the dates but also the time an issue was created. So you need to take the decimals into account that you get out of the difference both in date and time if you want the figure to match up.

Then the next problem is that the graph can vary over time for already passed months. That seem to be if you reopen issues and get a new resolved time for those issues - then the average age will change.

Suggest an answer