Avatars missing form kanban board

Andrew Fisher July 25, 2013

We're seeing problems with default avatars (instead of users' real avatars) sometimes being displayed on the kanban board as part of our Jira / Greenhopper eval.

As an example / with repeatable steps, if I'm not logged in (we have anonymous access enabled via the "anyone" permission), and go to a board, default avatars are displayed. If I do a hard refresh on my browser, the nothing changes (the default avatars are still shown). If I log in, I still see the default avatars, but now if I do a hard refresh, then the correct avatars show up. In all cases (logged in / not logged in / before / after cache refresh), the avatar URL remains the same (e.g. http://jira/secure/useravatar?ownerId=username&avatarId=10604). Other of our users have seen this problem sometimes also (and they're all usually logged in).

Per similar discussion threads, we've double checked our base URL, re-indexed, confirmed we're not using Gravatar, uploaded avatar pictures as jpg instead of png. The server's "application-data/jira/data/avatars" folder appears to have rwx permission for the server's jira user (and I can see the avatar files in the folder).

Any other suggestions? Thanks!

4 answers

0 votes
Zarro August 5, 2016

Same here

0 votes
Maud Schlich November 5, 2015

We too have this problem. And up to now it is not systematically reproducible.

We use IE and Gravatars. Any solution which came up in the meantime?

0 votes
ÓskarF February 5, 2014

I'm also having this problem. But it only exists in IE, in Chrome this never happens.

It also seems only to happen to useres that used Gravatar. Now we only use the built in.

0 votes
Tommy Nordahl
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 10, 2013

We are having the same problem with "user's real avatars".
Sometimes they show and sometimes they don't.
Anyone else?

Suggest an answer