Autowatch on Time Logged

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 13, 2013

I was never a fan of the autowatch on comments. It's a good idea, but creates a bit too much noise for our users. But what I would like is something very similar in that anyone who logs time to an issue is auto-added as a watcher. Without writing custom code, does anyone know a solution?

3 answers

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2013

I crafted this today that adds anyone logging time to the watch list.

package com.custom

import com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.AbstractIssueEventListener
import com.atlassian.jira.event.issue.IssueEvent
import org.apache.log4j.Category
import com.atlassian.jira.ComponentManager
import com.atlassian.jira.issue.watchers.WatcherManager
import com.atlassian.jira.security.JiraAuthenticationContext

class WorkLoggedListener extends AbstractIssueEventListener {
    Category log = Category.getInstance(WorkLoggedListener.class)

@Override
    void issueWorkLogged (IssueEvent event) {
    	log.setLevel(org.apache.log4j.Level.WARN)
    	log.debug ("----------- begin WorkLoggedListener --------------")

ComponentManager componentManager = ComponentManager.getInstance()
    	WatcherManager watcherManager = componentManager.getWatcherManager()
    	JiraAuthenticationContext jiraAuthenticationContext = componentManager.getJiraAuthenticationContext()
    	watcherManager.startWatching(jiraAuthenticationContext.getLoggedInUser(), event.issue)

log.debug ("----------- end WorkLoggedListener ----------------")
    }
}

Jamie Echlin March 14, 2013

Upvoted, but I think you are over-complicating this. You can get a WatcherService via:

ComponentAccessor.getComponent(WatcherService.class)

Then you don't need to create one yourself along with all its dependencies. Furthermore I think I would just use

watcherManager.startWatching(watcher, issue)

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2013

watcherManager.startWatching was a *much* cleaner way of doing this so I edited the code above to reflect my changes. Thanks for the tip, Jamie.

(i didn't use ComponentAccessor as you suggested above though. Instead, I stuck with ComponentManager.)

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2013

No worries. CA and CM do the same thing under the covers, but CA is @PublicApi, CM is not. One day... probably a very long time in the future, CM might be removed...

1 vote
Ivan Tse
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 14, 2013

That is odd. I would have assumed that the auto watch would have captured that action and added the user who logged time against the ticket to have been added as a watcher. I've made an improvement request for now to review consistency for what actions automatically add a watcher.

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JRA-32119

If logging time againast a ticket is one of the actions which adds a user as a watcher then your want to add users once they logged work will fall under the default auto-watch feature.

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2013

thanks, ivan. i voted up the issue, and i'm going to add a few of my thoughts.

0 votes
Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 13, 2013

Without custom code, it is not possible.

Tanner Wortham
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2013

how many times do i have to tell you to stop giving me bad news, jobin? ;)

Jobin Kuruvilla [Adaptavist]
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 14, 2013

lol........

Suggest an answer