Automation - send email notification to users in custom field

Crescenzo D_Alessandro June 15, 2022

Hello,

I am not very experienced in the setup side of Jira, and I am hitting a problem. I have created an automation to send a notification when a transition happens for an issue. I have set up a "People" custom field (let's call it "To Notify").

When I try to create an automation (let's call it "Notify") to trigger when an issue goes from status A to status B, the "To Notify" field does not appear in the list of for the "To" field: I can see the user fields in the drop-down, but not the custom field "To Notify".

I have tried with various iterations of the smart values, but none seems to work, the log always says that the "To" field is empty, even though the relevant field is populated.

Rather than show you my (obviously wrong) attempts at smart fields, can someone explain to me how to do this? 

All the best,

Enzo

P.S.: I just realised that the project I am doing this in is a "Team-Managed" project rather than a "Company-Managed" project, which might be part of the problem. Is it not possible to access custom fields for actions in a team-managed project?

2 answers

0 votes
Kamil Blicharski June 15, 2022

Instead of the name, use the address of the field, e.g. {{customfield_10234}}

tickets -> custom fields -> context and default value-> see url bar

Thank you - this is interesting and might be a hint to what is going on.

I have created the field in the "Issue types" project settings section, by dragging one of the available field types to the issue. It doesn't appear in the "Custom fields" - and indeed the "Custom fields" does not allow me to add multi-user fields.

Can I access the fields created in the "Issue types" project settings section?

(also note updated PS in the description - this is a "Team-Managed" project)

0 votes
Kamil Blicharski June 15, 2022

Instead of the name, use the address of the field, e.g. {{customfield_10234}}

tickets -> custom fields -> context and default value-> see url bar

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events