Automation rule to create Jira Software issue with custom fields

Maciej Kuliński March 26, 2019

Hi.

In specific transition in service desk, I want to create a linked jira software issue with custom fields i.e. in a ticket I've got fields "Steps to reproduce" etc. I want to clone that values to new issue from service desk to jira software.

In automation rule, I'm able to fill that fileds statically. Are there available some variables like $(sourceissue.stepstoreproduce) or something?

I've got also a Deep Clone plugin - maybe this can be used in some way in automation?

1 answer

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

Hello Maciej,

I hope you are having a nice day.

Unfortunately, JIRA Service Desk automation does not provide you with the functionality to reference the source values of the trigger issue in custom fields. We have a feature request to implement this functionality here:

Add more variables to THEN automation rules

Feel free to vote and watch the suggestion to increase its priority and also receive notifications about any updates.

That been said, there are some add-ons that can give you this option for now. The one I recommend is Automation for JIRA where you can reference Smart values to copy fields from one issue to another. 

To achieve it, you could configure a simple rule like below:

Screen Shot 2019-03-26 at 15.57.44.png

Let me know if this information helps.

Maciej Kuliński March 26, 2019

Thank you. I ordered Automation for Jira plugin already and I’m waiting to try that tool 

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

You are welcome, Maciej.

Let me know if you face any questions while configuring the plugin.

Additionally, here's some documentation if you would like to know more about Smart values and other features of the Automation Add-on:

Automation for JIRA Documentation

Regards.

Adrien P_ February 7, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves Thank you !
Can you make this plugin native in Jira cloud software? I don't understand that you have to install a plugin to benefit from this feature in Jira cloud software when it's native in Jira cloud service desk.
Moreover, when you look at the plugin page, in the title or in the summary, you never talk about compatibility with Jira cloud software.

Capture d’écran 2020-02-07 à 15.08.45.png
It's really confusing, you'll benefit from communicating more effectively about this feature that Jira cloud Software users like me struggle to find.

Regards,

Ariana R. July 20, 2020

@Petter Gonçalves Is the Automation for Jira- Cloud Lite free app still available? It looks like only server is available as of July 2020?

Petter Gonçalves
Atlassian Team
July 20, 2020

Hello @Ariana R.

I've great news for you: Atlassian has acquired Codebarrel, the company that owns the Automation for Jira app.

That being said, the complete version of automation for Jira is now part of the set of functionalities provided by Jira Software Cloud and Service desk Cloud:

Jira automation 

To use it, you just need to navigate to your Jira project > Click on Project settings > Select Automation in the left menu (Or Project Automation for Jira Service desk).

There are some limits on the number of global rule executions based on which Jira plan you are currently using (Free, Standard or Premium), however, project-related rules are unlimited in all of those plans and there are no functionality limitations. For more details about those limitations, you can check the documentation below:

What is automation for Jira?  

Hope this information helps.

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer