Automation rule reruns for wrong issues

Nina Baars November 29, 2022

Hii everyone!

I created a campaign management board in Jira (Business project).

In this board, I used Jira automations to create new issues when a particular issue status is changed to done. 

The idea:

1) When an issue is set to done

2) And that issue equals Type: 4 Content & Translations

3) and that issue's name is "Write content"

4) Then create 2 new issues of type 4 Content & Translations ("Check content" and "Translate content")

The problem:

There are no problems with the steps of setting issue "Write content" to done. The 2 new issues will be created automatically. 

However, when one of the 2 new issues of type 4 Content & Translations is set to done it will automatically create these 2 issues again. The rules are runned again for these 2 new issues. 

I thought this was tackled by step 3 in the rules, in which there is controlled for the issue name before creating a new issue. However, it turns out to be not the case. 

The rules look like the following.

The image below shows the list view and displays that the 2 issues are created again when one of both is set to done. 

Maybe someone can help me out with this problem.

Any help will be greatly appreciated! :) 

Jira rules screen.PNGJira list screen.PNG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Gokaraju gopi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2022

Hi @Nina Baars 

Does {{issue.name}} exists in smart values?  Does it mean issue summary or description if so then it can be `{{issue.summary}}` or `{{issue.description}}`

@Gokaraju gopi Thank a lot for your quick answer!
Unfortunately, it does not look like it is solving the problem. 

The Audit Log:

Advanced compare condition
The following issues did not match the condition ("Write content issue")

Gokaraju gopi
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
November 29, 2022

@Nina Baars 

I think Write content issue should not be wrapped inside curly brackets. {{Write content issue}} -> this can be wrong. If you are comparing text it should be just Write content issue. For example in following condition if issue summary is equals to Create then it will create a new issue

at6.JPG

@Gokaraju gopi 
Thanks again for your help!
Now, unfortunately, no issue is created after moving the status of Write content to Done.

Issue condition
The following issues passed:
CMP-537
Issue condition
The following issues passed:
CMP-537
Advanced compare condition
The following issues did not match the condition:
CMP-537

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2022

Hi @Nina Baars 

Would you please post images of your current, updated rule...including the details of what you now have in the advanced compare condition, and of an example issue that would trigger this rule when moved to Done.

Those things may reveal why it is not matching as you expect.  Thanks!

Kind regards,
Bill

Hi @Bill Sheboy 

Thanks for your reply!

1) First (by another automation) the issue of type "4 Content and Translations" named "Write content" is created

2) Then this rule, as displayed below, is runned when the "Write content" issue is set to done:

Rule entire.PNG

The advanced comparison condition looks as follows:

Advanced comparison condition zoomed in.PNG

Then the following issues of type "4 Content and Translations" are created:
- Check content

- Translate content

Example of one of these issues:

Example of Check content issue.PNG

Hopefully, these examples make things clearer. 
So, the problem which I am facing is that when one of these 2 tasks created by this rule are set to done immediately these 2 tasks are created again on the Jira board.

This is not my intention because these 2 issues should be created once and this rule triggered by transition should only apply to the type "4 Content and Translations" "Write content" issue. Not on the 2 issues that are created by this rule. 

Thanks in advance for your time!
Kinds regards,
Nina 

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
November 29, 2022

Thanks for that information, Nina.

It does not appear you made the change that @Gokaraju gopi suggested for your condition, to compare {{issue.summary}} to the text Write content. 

Did you try that?  If so, please post an image of that rule and the audit log details, and an example issue (e.g. one from your CMP project that you expect to trigger the rule.)

Or, is "Name" actually a custom field in your issue?

Oh sorry, I forgot to mention but I did try the suggestions made by @Gokaraju gopi

Changing {{issue.name}} to {{issue.summary}} or {{issue.description}}

However, I did not try the combination {{issue.summary}} + only the text Check content

It appears this works! Sorry I did not try that immediately. 

Thanks a lot for your help and time both @Bill Sheboy and @Gokaraju gopi 
I can start off managing my campaigns!

Like # people like this

Suggest an answer