Automation on a support ticket type

Harrison Costas February 3, 2023

I want to setup automation on a specific ticket type. So the scenario is we want all onboarding of staff tickets to change from review status to waiting for support but only when the start date specified field in the ticket is 5 days or less away.

I have attempted this via the automation but with little success, please see attachment of what I have tried.

I am wondering if there is a JQL query that I can run within the automation to tackle this for me.

automation.png

1 answer

0 votes
Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2023

Hi @Harrison Costas and welcome to the community!

A couple things:

Your Trigger is for issue creation.  I'm assuming that when an issue is created it's not in the status "Review" and the conditions won't be necessary if you make this adjustment:

• TRIGGER: Scheduled (Daily)
    • status = Review AND issueType = "Onboarding New Employees" AND "Start Date" < 5d
  • ACTION: Transition Issue ("Waiting for Support")

So my workflow is set so that when the ticket is first opened it goes straight into Review

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 3, 2023

Thanks for the clarity.  My proposed changes still stand because triggering on issue creation is only good for the instant the issue is created so having it look for whether it's 5 days from being due will always fail (unless the ticket just happens to be created with a start date that's 5 days away). 

By changing the trigger to scheduled, it will look each morning at what tickets fall into this category and execute on them in bulk.

I have added that line in however I get the attached error message

error on automation.png

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2023

Hmm... Let's try a couple things:

• First, change the JQL to:
    • status = Review AND issueType = "Onboarding New Employees" AND "Start date[Date]" < 5d
  • If that doesn't work, I think the problem is that Start Date is a locked field used by Advanced Roadmaps and since you have standard licensing, it may not be something that can be used.  You could instead leverage Due Date or create a new custom field.

Sorry I should mention that Start Date is a custom field that I created, I have tried the above but still get the same error message.

Mark Segall
Community Leader
Community Leader
February 3, 2023

Ok - So I think the problem is that you probably have two custom fields called "Start Date".  The one that is automatically created, and the one you created.  You'll need to get the ID for your custom field and then adjust the query to:

status = Review AND issueType = "Onboarding New Employees" AND "cf[xxxxx]" < 5d

The fastest way to get the field ID is to open Advanced Search and start typing "Order By Start Date".  Next to the field will be the ID (cf[xxxxx]).  There will likely be two options there so you'll have a bit of trial and error to select the right one.

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events