Automation error question. Check your custom field configuration. Fields ignored - Parent (parent)

Logan Francis April 15, 2021

I am using Jira Automation to create an issue on a separate project whenever a certain request type is generated on my Jira Service Management project. The issue type on the separate project is assigned the exact same screens/scheme as the request type that copies fields to it.

It creates the issue, but throws the attached error every time. I've been unable to find what this field is. Any ideas?jira_automation.JPG

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Hi @Logan Francis -- Welcome to the Atlassian Community!

Would you please post an image of your rule?  That will provide some context for the community to supply ideas.

Without seeing the rule yet, I wonder if one or more of the fields you are setting in the newly created issue, perhaps copying from values in the triggering issue, have different values or are impacted by workflow in the target project.

Best regards,

Bill

jira_rule.JPG

Sorry! There it is.. It isn't anything too complex, still new to this. All the fields it's copying are present on the issue type its copying to just in a different project.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
April 15, 2021

Thanks, Logan.

Did you check if there any workflow restrictions/rules on the target project?

Also, this appears to be copying data from one custom sub-task type to another custom sub-task type.  Is that correct?  And if so, which issue is the Parent of the newly created issue, as that could be where the error message is coming from.

It's a template project I made for testing this action with pretty much nothing in it that I could tell would cause this no rules made at all within it. It's copying data from one custom issue type to another custom issue type named "Task" no sub-tasks. And I made both issue types pretty generic nothing special on them. They are assigned the exact same screen scheme as well.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2021

Hmmm... that is curious.  The icon for both the trigger and new issue types looks like they are sub-task types, which I why I thought there was a parent error.

Do you have any workflow rules?

Ahhh yes I manually set that picture. I changed it now to be less confusing. No workflow rules at all. I even tried setting it to the same workflow in both projects, but the error persists.

Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2021

Thanks for clarifying that!  The only time I have seen that error for automation was when the created issue changed/set a field which was not visible on the views, or a permission error for the field and the Automation user.  As you are not changing the parent that seems unlikely for this case, but could be worth checking for the other fields.

Otherwise, I suggest submitting a defect to Atlassian at the link below.  You should be able to do that as site admin for a paid license.

https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/

Like Logan Francis likes this
Bill Sheboy
Rising Star
Rising Star
April 15, 2021

FYI for the possible permissions cause, there is a documentation page for Server that recommends using the guided "Where's my field" technique to try to solve it.  That should be the same approach for Cloud version.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/automation/solve-unknown-fields-error-in-the-audit-log-993924707.html

I will have a look thank you! Although I'm not sure how that could be since the assigned screens to both issue types are identical, but I'm also not sure what it means by parent(parent) though as far as a field goes for that.. especially when there isn't a parent associated with any of this.. it's a very strange one.

Like Bill Sheboy likes this

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events