Automation: Trigger rule if no "Child Of" link exists

Kristin Palmer November 29, 2020

Hi 👋 I have a business scenario where I want to ensure that for every Epic created in a certain Jira project, that it is linked to another Epic in a particular board, using a "Child Of" relationship. Example: 

• Project ABC contains a set of Epics, each one representing a company priority
  • Project XYZ contains the Epics for an engineering team
  • Every Epic in project XYZ should have a "Child of" link to an Epic in project ABC

I therefore want to create an automation that looks at every Epic in Project ABC and checks for the existence of a "Child Of" link to an epic in Project XYZ.

I'd appreciate any help here - my attempts so far have been a fail! 

1 answer

0 votes
Sherry Goyal
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 1, 2020

Hello @Kristin Palmer 

Thanks for writing to us. I say please give it a shot by using jqls and smart values. Something like this:

Screen Shot 2020-12-01 at 7.21.26 pm.png

So:

1. Scheduled Trigger : It gives option to enter a jql along with cron schedule, where you can pick a list of issues you want to iterate. Here I used issuetype and project, you can add status, etc to refine as per your wish.

2. Then for each issue found from above jql(note: used {{issue.key}} smart value), I create a jql to fetch all linked issues of a particular link type(here I used "is blocked by")

3. Then for each linked issue found above, I checked issuetype and 2nd project

4. If all conditions pass you can take relevant action, I logged here {{triggerIssue.key}} which is the issue from 1st project and {{issue.key}} is linked epic from 2nd project.

Hope this gives you some idea, how you can leverage it. If this still not solves your concern, please let me know with more rule details. I will look further to it.

Cheers
Sherry

Kristin Palmer December 2, 2020

Thanks for your comments Sherry.

Unfortunately I don't think this helps my scenario. I want to be able to receive a list of issue that don't contain a "child of" link. I'm actually also planning to embed this list in a confluence page so I cant rely on automation triggers necessarily. 

Suggest an answer

DEPLOYMENT TYPE
CLOUD
PRODUCT PLAN
STANDARD
PERMISSIONS LEVEL
Site Admin
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events