Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
It's not the same without you

Join the community to find out what other Atlassian users are discussing, debating and creating.

Atlassian Community Hero Image Collage

Automation - Summing up story points from Linked tasks to Stories

Is it possible for Jira to automate summing up the story points at task level to the Linked Story that it is related to? In the Screen shot below I have an Epic (DS-1) that has several User Stories. One of which is DS-7. That story in turn has two tasks that are needed to achieve it (DS-10 and DS-11).

I have set them up as tasks and not Sub-Tasks as I want to be able to see the tasks on my agile board, and sub-tasks are not displayed on the boards.

I want to be able to have the SMEs estimate at a task level, but I want to be able to report back to stakeholders on size of story - without having to sum and adjust them manually if the size of the task changes.

Story Points.PNG

1 answer

2 votes
Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Dec 06, 2021

Hi @thodges and welcome to the community!

This is actually a very common use case which can be easily achieved using the build in automation. i'd write it all out for you but there is actually an automation template for it in the library which you can fine here: 

https://www.atlassian.com/software/jira/automation-template-library/sum-up-story-points

If you get stuck however or have followup questions feel free to shout :)

Hi Dirk!

Thanks for the quick response. I have read that article, however it describes summing up story points in sub-tasks into a parent task. I want to sum up story points from related tasks into a story issue. I cannot use sub-tasks as sub-tasks cannot be viewed on an agile board.

If you know how to translate the template into what I need I would be forever grateful. I gave it a go, but was unsucessful.

Dirk Ronsmans Community Leader Dec 08, 2021

Hi @thodges ,

let me work on an example for you with your specific use-case :)

In automation there is the possibility to also retrieve the linked issues (all or for a specific relation) so this should be possible.

Do you organise the tasks in a specific relation or should I just consider anything linked to the main issue?

Any tasks or bugs linked to the main issue - although I am trying to keep the team disciplined to just use "relates to".

So i've been playing around a bit and while I'm not clear on what fields you are estimating in this should give you a good guide. 

I added it as a manual trigger to test but you can set the trigger on what you like :)

I use the lookup Issues action to search for any issues where the current issue is in the linkedissues.

Then we use the smart value method to sum up the estimations.

image.png

This should also work with story poins if that's how you are estimating. just replace the action on the edit issue with {{lookupIssues.Story points.sum}}

Update: since time estimate works with seconds you'll have to divide it by 60 to get a correct value on the field in the story.

You can do this with 

{{#=}}{{lookupIssues.Original Estimate.sum}}/60{{/}}

If you use story points you won't have to do this of course.

Suggest an answer

TAGS

Community Events

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find an event

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.

Host an event

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local event. Learn more about Community Events

Events near you