Automation: Send Email

Joshua Munoz October 6, 2016

I want to create a rule that notifies individual users via email when specific types of Service Requests are generated, but I only have the option to email the Reporter or Customers Involved.  Is there a way to add individual emails or make groups that will show up as options?

1 answer

6 votes
Gerry Tan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 6, 2016

Try the "Alert user" THEN action, this will result in an internal comment with at-mention to the specified user – which will trigger email notification – depending on your notification settings.

Joshua Munoz October 6, 2016

Gerry,

That's great.  That's the answer to exactly what I asked.  Sadly, I realize I didn't ask the right question.  The emails I'd like to send would not be to agents, but employees that will not be working on tickets or logging into JIRA Service Desk.

In this case, we have managers who are liaisons to our various customers.  They like to know every time a ticket is generated for their customers.  They never work on tickets at all, but just want to be in the loop on when tickets are generated for their specific clients.

Is this a possibility with JIRA Service Desk? 

Like # people like this
Gerry Tan
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 9, 2016

How about this:

1. Add the manager into Service Desk Team role (through Project settings > Users and roles).
  2. Use "Add comment" THEN action, then do @ mention to the manager in the comment text. Make the comment internal so the customer won't see it.
  3. Once the rule triggers and the comment added, manager will receive an email

According to my testing this will work even if the manager is unlicensed. 

Like Testing_One likes this
Joshua Munoz October 10, 2016

Gerry,

That's perfect!  Thanks so much.

Palash Sinha February 23, 2017

Hi Gerry,

The solution is great! Is there a way to also include the ticket details like description & any custom field value under the notification? 

Like # people like this
Jörg Gellisch March 16, 2017

Oh your Question is interesting @Palash Sinha. I am interested in this too. Because the Alert User Task only shows an E-Mail without any specified informations which would be good for us as a support team. Or is it possible to customize the E-Mails generated by the Alert User Task in the automation area?

Like Sabrina Liao likes this
Greg Mora July 3, 2017

I am also interested in this if you can give any feedback

Like Sabrina Liao likes this
Dan Froelich December 20, 2017

I, too, would like to have options to include ticket details in line in the email/ alert.

Like # people like this
J.D. Abbey December 21, 2017

I am looking for a way to send emails to our HR who do not have JIRA accounts when a manager fills out the new hires form I have on our jira portal. Would be nice to have that.

Geoff Gallinger April 23, 2018

I found the answer to this!

https://confluence.atlassian.com/servicedeskcloud/managing-service-desk-notifications-732528936.html

There's liquid logic for email notifications in Automations.

Edit: May have spoken too soon. Those rules are listed as working in emails...

Like Fevzi likes this
Joshua Sung August 10, 2018

Adding a comment and doing a search with @ doesn't seem to work... is there a way to to do this? You mention about referencing teams and roles. Roles don't seem to work with notifications? Or is there something I'm missing?

hawken.ritter April 4, 2019

Has anyone figured out how to include information from the ticket in the email notification?

Like # people like this
Sabrina Liao August 4, 2020

Hi @Gerry Tan Is there any word about how to include other information from the ticket in the email notification where e.g. specific users are notified in an internal comment? We want to be able to know the description of the ticket.

Sabrina Liao August 4, 2020

Nevermind, I was able to figure this out w/ the new project automation feature. The old automation wasn't able to use smart values for some reason.

Jerel Crosland September 2, 2020

@Sabrina Liao what version are you on, Cloud or Server? It seems Server doesn't support the Smart Fields that Cloud does, or else I'm just doing it wrong, which is entirely possible.

Like Heather R likes this
Sabrina Liao September 2, 2020

Suggest an answer